Friday, December 12, 2008

I'll Have a "Green" Christmas.....

Here's my theme this christmas: Eco-Friendly gifts and wrapping. I figure I can get more enjoyable gifts for people, while at the same time reducing packaging and waste.
Santa came early for Adam. Here are his green-wrapped gifts (brown paper bag packing with fabric ribbon and last year's christmas card snippets for decoration).

I have been browsing various blogs that give tips on how to reduce waste this holiday season. I realized how much "stuff" is given or received over the holidays and how even more "junk" is thrown away as a bi-product of giving (wrapping paper, product packaging).
Here are some ideas I've discovered to keep in mind when considering "green" shopping:
-go for things that you know people would like, that way they won't be wasted. If you're not sure, gift certificates are great!
-handmade gifts or gifts made from recycled materials
-clothes or items made with eco friendly fabrics
-edible gifts
-tickets to an event or other activity
-other gifts to promote green living and waste reduction (steel water bottles, reusable shopping bags, cloth napkins....)
-donations to a charitable organization in someone's name
I hope I don't sound preachy. Its just that living out in the Northwest has opened my eyes to being good to our environment. I just hope to spread the awareness!

***MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOODNIGHT***

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Liz,
Thanks for sharing the "green christmas ideas". I have written an annual holiday letter and sent out cards for over 20 years. This year I am starting a blog (yours was my inspiration!) and my first post will be my annual holiday letter. No more Christmas cards - except for those who aren't connected to the net.
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Kelly! that's so exciting! I'm very happy you're going green this christmas. I can't wait to read your blog! Merry Christmas :)