Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Unpopular Vegetable

Okay, so the rains have come and we aren't galavanting about the mountains as much. Instead, we are doing a lot of cooking and reading. Going along with both of those is the new publication we discovered called Edible Portland. I've given you the link to the national Edible Communities, as there is one for most states or major cities. You can search out your own state on this site and check out the online version or subscribe if you're so inclined. It is an amazing publication with interesting articles, recipes and ideas regarding fresh, local produce. We have picked up several issues at the Laughing Planet restaurant down the street from us and fell in love. What we wanted to share about this one was one of the recipes we tried. Its called Potato-Leek Soup with Celeriac. What in the world is celeriac, you ask? Well, here's what it looks like:

The article in Edible Portland referred to it as the awkward, dorky high schooler, who nobody appreciated, but really had a lot to offer once you got to know it. I think that's the perfect description. It looks like a cross between a brain and what I would visualize a mandrake to look like. It has the texture of a potato or parsnip, smells like celery and tastes somewhat like celery, only milder.


Here's the link to the recipe: Potato-Leek Soup with Celeriac


It's very yummy. You can also slice up potatoes and celeriac into disks, mix with cream, parmesean, breadcrumbs and various herbs to make a kind of gratin. That is quite decadent.

I hope everyone had a happy Halloween. We had a few trick-or-treaters (Like 20), which seems like a million compared to our two from the old Jacksonville apartment. I'll post our jack-o-lantern pics once I bring my camera cord home. He turned out great. Much Love!

**so I just realized my links aren't working. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll email it to you!**

No comments: