Sunday, November 16, 2008

Butter Me Up.

Sorry folks. The Life and Times of Liz and Adam in the NW is not as exciting as in past months. We go into hibernation for the winter. Which also means that to prepare for this so-called hibernation, we must feed incessantly. I guess you're supposed to do that before hibernation, but we do it throughout.

Our feeding tonight consisted of homemade Butternut Squash Ravioli. And when I say homemade, I mean homemade noodles and everything! Yes, sometimes we go overboard. But we will go to great measures in the name of food. Plus, I had to try out the pasta dough setting on my new BREAD MACHINE! Check it out:


I'm not going to write down the recipe, because I doubt most people will be willing to take the time out for pasta dough, but I'll go through the steps.

1. First, we made the dough in the machine.

2. Next, we roasted the B-squash in the oven with onions and blended the mixture in a food processor











3. Then, we rolled the dough out.














4. Next, drop little spoonfuls of mixture onto dough.











5. Place first dough sheet on top of second dough sheet (remember to brush water around the mixture on the dough to make the top layer stick).

6. Cut raviolis out.
7. Boil in water for 2-3 minutes.

8. In a saucepan, make a delicious sauce of your choice. We went with a favorite balsamic butter sauce with toasted pine nuts.

9. Toss pasta with sauce, garnish with parmesean cheese and arugula.

10. FEAST!
I know it sounds rich, but we need our carbohydrates, as we are now in our "Pre-training Training" for the marathon we have almost officially decided to do.
Stay posted for updates on how the marathon training will go. It is at the end of May in Newport, OR (on the coast).

I'm reading "Marathon" by Jeff Galloway to help myself stay motivated and focused. So far, pre-training training is going well. We make sure we go on a scenic long trail run one day of the weekend. This weekend, this is what we got to look at while we took a leisurely 6 mile jog:

Mount St. Helen's

2 comments:

Unknown said...

looks delicious! next time you can skip the pasta dough and use pre-packaged wonton wrappers...so much easier, but less satisfying.

:) said...

"Lesiurely 6-mile job"...phish! Good luck with your pre-training training. With great dinners like that you should be well-fueled!! I thought of you as I was planning on doing a Turkey Trot here this weekend but will be going to KSU's last home game....maybe another time! :)