Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Twist on Baking....

I saw a recipe that inspired me to try something new in my bread machine: pretzels. I went back to my German roots today when we decided to go for it. They are surprisingly easy and fun to make. A few steps and a little time, but delicious nonetheless. Behold the pretzel making process:

Divide the dough into equal parts and roll each part into 20 inch ropes. Twist them into cute little pretzel shapes.


Boil the cute pretzel shapes in water with a little baking soda for 45 secs - 1 min.


Brush with egg white wash and sprinkle with kosher salt.


Bake until they're a deep, dark golden delicious.

Oh man, they are so good. You should really try these....Have a good Fat Tuesday! I know we definitely will :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, those look good. We took the kids to the St. Louis St. Pat's parade downtown last Saturday and then treated them to some Gus's pretzels and Soulard Market afterward. It was fun, but I bet your pretzel's are better than Gus's (maybe.. those are pretty good, and cheap, mind you.)

I used to have a recipe from an old magazine that I had when I was probably 10 or 11, and we made those then. They look similar to what you made, except we did not boil them. Still they were good. Can you send me the recipe? Thanks.

Bob