Sunday, September 7, 2008

Oregon River Trails Galore

So, this post will be quite short, as I am about to fall asleep typing it. We rode our mountain bikes this weekend. Alot. Lots of miles. In the saddle. Along rivers....like this one.........................

The Klickitat River (Washington)


The first was in the Columbia Gorge Region (or as someone from our family - Ruth or Tracy - has renamed the Gulch Area). We rode approximately 20 miles on the Klickitat River Trail. It was quite nice. A nice flat spin on an old railroad line. We passed numerous wild blackberry bushes and apple trees along the way.


We stopped at a great new joint in White Salmon, WA afterwards called Everybody's Brewing. Yum is all I can say about that food. I might still be full from it.

On our way to the above named trail we got a call from our dear friends in Southern Oregon who had travelled north to an epic trail called the McKenzie River Trail. It is strategically located about halfway between us and them and they called to see if we were interested. We were.

We got up nice and early this morning to meet them and shuttle. We rode the length of it (approx. 25 miles). It was a long haul, but the sights were well worth it. Check out Sahalie Falls. AMAZING.


And yet, another self portrait of Adam and I in our bike helmets. Won't I ever learn?


Another thing that makes all the hardwork well worth it is Adam's grandma Mary's Bread Pudding. That was the Grand Finale. I'll post the recipe, but I have to say that Grandma Mary didn't leave all of the info (like oven temperature, baking time...). That will have to be up to you.
pudding:
4 slices old bread
1/2 cup raisins (we leave these out, I like to add chocolate chips)
2 cups milk
2/3 sugar
1 T butter
1/4 t nutmeg
3 eggs
pinch of salt
sauce:
2 T cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar (half brown and half white)
1/4 cup butter
1 t vanilla
2 cups water

*crumble bread into buttered baking dish, add raisins (or choc. chips). beat eggs, add milk , sugar, vanilla (this amount wasn't specified in our recipe. I bet a tspn or two would be great), nutmeg and salt. pour over bread cubes and dot with butter.

*sauce: mix all ingredients and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. add rum or bourbon to taste (you might need to taste each a few times before adding...). serve warm over pudding.
Oh Yeah.

5 comments:

mbleckman said...

I do believe Maggie and I hiked that trail when we were in Oregon. It was a nice walk. Very Scenic. I bet it was a great ride.

Anonymous said...

Funny that you used a recipe for Grandmas Bread Pudding. I don't think she EVER used a recipe.
How did it turn out? If its good let me know.
I might try using it next time.
Carol

:) said...

What amazing pictures!! You two are so motivating with all of your adventures!! The bread pudding sounds amazing too! Great to chat with you yesterday....if I discover any secrets for posting pics, I will pass them along! :)

mbleckman said...

We saw those falls...in person! (Maggie)

Pam said...

Yep, Liz, the same falls as in my pics! Also the blue pool pic I took was on the McKenzie River trail, looks like the same ass yours too. Did you get to Koosah falls too? And if so did you hike it or ride it? Did you go to any of the Hot Springs?

I love that area...