Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Moreland Farmer's Market

I hate it when I remember to bring the camera and forget to take pictures. That's what happened tonight at the Farmer's Market. I was going to post some lovely pictures for you all to view the wonders of the Moreland Farmer's Market, but instead you'll have to look at not-as-cool pictures of the produce we bought. Maybe next time.


Let's just say there's not a shortage of lucious berries in this state, especially this time of year. We struggle with which booth to buy our berries at. There's blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, logan berries, marion berries, goose berries.....its ridiculous - but delicious.





I told you all in the last post about how I'm trying to figure out what to do with all of the herbs in the back garden, well I'm giving you a little taste of my efforts. Homemade basil pesto and lavender cookies. Both very good. I'll post the recipes below. I'm using one of our back door shelves as an herb drying space - I thought I'd share that too.


One last thing: Carol requested a picture of the front of the house - well.....here it is!
This has been quite a random post. We might have something more exciting to share after the weekend.

Love to all!
Recipes:
Lavender Cookies
1 cup of butter
1/2 cup lavender sugar (mix half cup sugar with half cup dried lavender blossoms)
dash of salt
2 cups flour
*cream butter and sugar, add flour and salt. Mix with mixer or by hand with wooden spoon. Chill in fridge. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into small balls and place on cookie sheet. Cook for 10-12 minutes
Basil Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup grated fresh parmesean cheese
*in a blender or food processor, puree basil, parsley, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the nuts and cheese and process briefly until pesto reaches the desired consistency.
ENJOY!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of all the fruit. It looks delicious. Do you put the pesto on pasta? I remember having pasta at Aldo,s that had a green pesto on it and it was delicious. It had pine nuts on it also. I'll try the lavender cookies. I'm curious about the taste. Looks like you're busy being domestic.

Unknown said...

Yes, you can put it on pasta. We've been putting it on toasted french bread as a kind of bruschetta. The lavender cookies actually taste pretty good. My only suggestion is maybe stick the lavender blossoms in a food processor first before mixing with sugar.

Anonymous said...

And............................................................................Don't forget the PBR!!!!!

What do you do with the sage?u

Anonymous said...

We never forget the PBR. Its funny - PBR is totally popular out here. Its advertised everywhere and is the "cool" beer to drink.

Sage - we use with turkey and potatoes. We make a lot of turkey burgers and stuff and its great mixed in with the meat. I think its good with all poultry.