Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mommy Says That

"Oooooohhhhhh shit. Mommy says that."

This is what Noella said to me the other day when I was getting her dressed.

I was (slightly) taken aback. "What? Noooooo....... Mommy doesn't say that".

Noella: "Ooooohhhhhh shit. Mommy says that. Ooooohhhhh shit." She really means it.

Me: "No. That's not a nice word. Mommy says 'shoot'. 'Oh shoot'"

N: "Oooohhhhhh shit"

M: "Oh shoot!"

N: "Ooooohhhh...... shoot. Mommy says that. Golly - Daddy says that.".

Now, first of all I never say "oh shit". I usually just say "shit" in response to something spilling over, breaking, hurting. It's usually whispered very loudly. But, it's never "oh shit". And second of all ---- when have you ever heard your father say "golly".  You're painting me in a very bad light here, my dear. And third.... how does just changing one vowel in a word make it so much more moral and good? I just don't get it. Oh shit.

Thank goodness she said it to me first. Now I can continue to keep my sailor's mouth hidden from the rest of the world.

No comments: