Thursday, December 8, 2011

Single Parent for the Week

This is a reflection about how challenging it is to be with an almost two year old for a whole week by yourself. Now, I know there are so many single parents out there, and I know there are other parents out there who do maybe more than their share with their kids b/c of traveling spouses or whatnot -- I tip my hat to you all. It is a test of patience, stamina, creativity, patience, willpower..... did I say patience??

The little dear was mostly a little dear. We did have some moments, but I think it was more me than her. I think the hardest part is the lack of adult interaction. It's really hard to maintain your sanity when your conversations all revolve around: "mommy, you a big girl?", "does Thomas want a purple cupcake?", "No-yeh-yuh wants bike race music"..... All of these conversation starters make only slightly more sense to me than they do to you. I still haven't, for the life of me, figured out what "bike race music" consists of. So far, "Hey-Ya" by Outkast does the trick. While, I love the fact that she is so verbal and can carry on somewhat of a conversation with me, it is really exhausting trying to remain engaged with her and sound excited about every off the wall comment and question she has (which she usually asks at least 10 times each). But, I do love it. I really do. I just like it better when Adam is here and can answer her the other half of the time, and I can just listen.

Noella, talking to someone who really cares on her cellphone. Obviously, Foxy (the animal she's dining with) and Mama just don't get it. 


Speaking off that, thank goodness Dada's back tomorrow evening. Noella is practicing for his homecoming on a tiny trumpet ornament.

No comments: