Friday, May 6, 2011

Comfort Zone

So, with spring comes me usually trying to train for something. This usually is a half marathon, hopefully on a trail instead of the road. This training is usually the same old boring beginner Hal Higdon training schedule that I've done for the past 7 years. Not this year. Oh no! I've stepped up my game -- this half marathon running gal is doing the Intermediate Hal Higdon training program. I'm so daring. I know - it took me 7 years to try something different, but I'm glad I did. It is a little more running, some days with the notion to run faster than you really want to. But all that aside, I feel like I am benefiting from it. And so, the point of all this is that I think it IS true that if you push yourself slightly outside of your comfort zone, you will reap some benefits. Noella seems like she's pretty good at pushing outside of her comfort zone. I think she is training for being generally crazy.




Part of the aforementioned training program has me running some shorter races in between. The first was a 5K in Stevenson, WA. And, truth be told, it was the fastest I've ever run 3.1 miles. I think it was something like 22 minutes and something.

In Stevenson, there is a neat little museum to which the race's proceeds went to. Here is Noella in front of the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center, near the "tuh-tuh" (Totem Pole).



 This weekend is a "Run Mama Run" 10K in Mt. Tabor Park. It's supposed to rain. Of course. Why is spring dragging it's feet out here? Doesn't it know summer is almost here?

No comments: