Friday, October 10, 2008

"Oh Give Me a Home..."

The words that come to mind when I think about this past vacation are the lyrics to "Home on the Range". Our experience was much like stepping back in time.....a simpler time. No, we did not have electricity, nor running water. Here, take a gander at our swanky place:

The Wenatchee Guard StationBut we have these views right outside the door....

What you're looking at are called the Blue Mountains. On our first day there we hiked all the way down that canyon. During our hike, we saw a herd of elk. The first night we stayed in the cabin, we saw another herd of elk grazing by the gravel road. We're thinking it was the same herd that kept us up that same night yelping their weird elk calls. I know you can barely see them by the road, but if you squint just enough and tilt your head to the right....



There are so many beautiful pictures and so much to share, I'm not sure I can fit it all in this post. I think I should mention that the nearest "town" was approximately 20 miles away on a gravel road. Here's the sign as you enter "town". The nearest real town was about 45 miles away.







The second part of our trip was to Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area. This place is what I would imagine the Grand Canyon looks like. Since I haven't been there, that's what I'm going to compare it to, even though I know (and Adam tells me) that its not quite close in grandeur. It is, however, just as spectacular. The Snake River, which has carved the canyon, is the border between Oregon and Idaho. You can see it way below.

We obviously had a gorgeous sunshiney day. That doesn't quite mean warm though. No, actually it was the opposite. The night we camped up on the ridge of Hell's Canyon, temperatures dipped into the low 20's. Don't believe us? Reference the picture below of the frozen towel...


Here's a tally of the wildlife we saw on our trip: two different herds of elk, pronghorns, a coyote, grouse, quail, turkey and mule deer. We unfortunately did not get to see the wild mountain goats and big horn sheep that roam the area. We have yet to spot a black bear or cougar. One of these days though. In the end, we did not get to see the "buffalo roam", but we did watch the elk roam and the deer and the pronghorns play.

"Where seldom is heard, a discouraging word. And the skies are not cloudy all
day"

3 comments:

carrie said...

looks like fun! one of these days you have to take me and ted out with you guys...that would be interesting!

:) said...

Wow Liz....wow! You guys are like Pioneers! I would not be a happy participant with frozen towels; that I promise you! :) Looks really pretty though!!

Anonymous said...

That looks spectacular! I am glad you are able to see these things (and a bit jealous). Take in as much as you can, and please continue to share so we can see images of these places. Thanks!